In collaboration with Theun Mosk and Boukje Schweigman
Holkham, nr Wells-next-the-Sea, North Norfolk. 20 August – 2 September 2012
‘it’s theatre, but not as we know it’ – The Telegraph, May 2012
Escape the pressures of modern-day living this summer as the stunning landscape of the north Norfolk coastline becomes the stage for an extraordinary outdoor adventure.
Set over a three mile stretch of the Holkham estate*, Walking is a major collaboration between the Norfolk & Norwich Festival and the internationally acclaimed American director and artist Robert Wilson.
Part walk, part theatrical experience and punctuated by gigantic architectural installations along the way, Walking will heighten your senses and thrillingly alter your perceptions of space and time.
How to get the most out of Walking
Walking involves a slow-paced three mile walk across varied terrain – this slow pace will allow for a unique and intense experience of Holkham’s landscapes.
All participants will be required to travel as ‘lightly’ as possible, without the burden of everyday items such as cameras and mobile phones. Small items can be left securely at the Holkham box office. We regret that no dogs will be allowed onto the Walking site.
For more details, including travel and accommodation information, visit: www.nnfestival.org.uk/walking
Robert Wilson’s collaboration with the Norfolk & Norwich Festival is a highlight of the London 2012 Festival, a 12 week nationwide celebration running from June until September 2012 bringing together leading artists from across the world with the very best from the UK.
The career of the pioneering American visual artist and director has included genre-redefining roles as a choreographer, performer, painter, sculptor and video artist. His celebrated collaborations with a wide variety of leading artists – including Philip Glass, Lou Reed, Tom Waits and David Byrne – have made him one of the most exciting artistic talents of our time.
Theun Mosk and Boukje Schweigman
With her company Schweigman&, Dutch theatre director Boukje Schweigman works regularly with Theun Mosk, one of the Netherlands’ leading stage and set designers. The work they create is poetic, intimate, highly visual and physical. They collaborated with Robert Wilson on the first presentation of Walking at the Oerol Festival in the Netherlands in 2008 and recently presented the world premiere of Mirror – a spectacular manipulation of space and perception – at the 2012 Norfolk & Norwich Festival.
- Tickets: £15, Concessions £5. Book online via nnfestival.org.uk/walking or call 01603 766400. Also in person from Norwich Theatre Royal.
- From 20 August tickets will also be available from the Walking box office on Lady Anne’s Drive, Holkham.
- Concessions available to Under 25’s, full time students, those in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance or income support – bookable by phone and in person only.
- Tickets are strictly limited to 19 people every 30 mins.
- Please allow approximately 5 hrs to complete Walking (3.5 hrs for the walk itself, plus travel time from and back to the meeting point at Lady Anne’s Drive at Holkham).
- Suitable for ages 14+
- Walking was originally commissioned by the Oerol Festival